user experience designer
Download pdf resume
City of Raleigh - 2011/June 2016
Advocated for user experience design by utilizing best practices to make forward progress on the city's website.
- Served as product owner for raleighnc.gov guiding the site towards modern trends and leading a team of 3 staff.
- Recruited, moderated and synthesized results into actionable recommendations from usability testing data
- Utilized design studio methodology to engage staff and gather ideas for new page templates
- Performed A/B testing to determine success of solutions, including testing slider/grid preference for news items.
- Maintained site consistency across 1000 pages & 100 editors in with CMS templates using HTML/CSS/JS.
- Ensured web pages are performant by optimizing images and implementing lazy load techniques.
- Routinely met with content owners to discuss goals & analytics, translate them into reusable design patterns.
- Responsible for 2013 responsive design update - one of the first of it's kind for a government website.
- Designed and developed templates for city boards/commissions, news/events and construction project statuses.
- Implemented expand-collapse feature with progressive enhancement & removed reliance on JS with CSS.
- Cleaned up 2000 line CSS using repeatable patterns in SASS and implementing best practices for performance.
- Led migration of intranet from Frontpage to Drupal using mobile first methods for design, content & development.
- Added easy access to most popular pages to mobile site as top tasks to bypass overwhelming navigation.
- Created template for 90 park pages after running usability study to determine critical information to citizens.
- Oversaw design of local city government "Best of Web Awards" site, while site visitors grew by 25%.
- Devised and implemented new design for utility billing payment site, while making usability recommendations.
- Collaborated with developers to build new internal apps for staff directory, conference room using Git.
- Analyzed QA items to fix mistakes and accessibility issues on site weekly.
Grasshopper - 2010/11
Served as remote UX Lead in a position created for me, fusing user centered design into company process.
- Eliminated user frustration and cut support costs by creating new on-boarding setup process for voice web app.
- Created HTML/CSS prototypes to gather customer feedback during moderated remote usability tests.
- Analyzed customer and stakeholder observations to iterate on designs for retesting in two week agile cycles.
- Advocated for users’ needs during design and development, to align usability and brand across all 3 products.
- Led research and design effort for Customer Service redesign to improve agents’ workflows and efficiency.
Messagefirst - 2007/10
Employed a variety of progressive techniques to redesign client web apps for this boutique design firm.
- Conducted ethnographic based research to learn about users’ needs and problems.
- Created data driven personas and task analysis grids for use in the design process.
- Facilitated brainstorming in collaborative sketching sessions to help clients' generate design ideas.
- Produced high fidelity prototypes using my own HTML/CSS framework and various JS libraries.
- Customized CSS to apply visual design direction to prototypes.
- Recruited, moderated and observed in-person and remote testing to identify patterns and validate designs.
- Wrote usability findings reports and created slide decks for presenting to stakeholders.
- Developed pattern library/style guide for use by clients during implementation phase.
- Reduced online university application from 13 steps down to 3, using progressive reveal design pattern.
- Reorganized settings for help desk web application, reducing amount of screens by 40%.
- Degree in Information Systems & Human Computer Interaction, minored in Human Factors